Help with powers of attorney

There are two different types: a property and financial affairs lasting power of attorney handles your finances, taxes, benefits and assets, while a personal welfare lasting power of attorney is responsible for more personal matters such as your living arrangements and medical treatment.

Our experienced power of attorney solicitors can advise which type of attorney is best for you. We can also help you to choose a suitable person.

Many people appoint someone close to them, such as a spouse, friend or relative. Others prefer to choose a professional, to act on their behalf. If you require a professional attorney, Cripps Pemberton Greenish Trust Corporation, run by our lawyers, can act for you.

We can make all the necessary arrangements for you – from preparing your application to providing the necessary paperwork, including acting as a certificate provider which is a formality required before registration. We can also mediate disputes between different attorneys.

If you need to appoint an attorney urgently, we can also help by preparing a general power of attorney until a permanent one can be registered. Our power of attorney solicitors are there to help you every step of the way.

How to sign a Lasting Power of Attorney 

Key Contact

Nicola Hillyer


+44 (0)1892 506 014

Key Contact

Kate Arnold


+44 (0)1892 506 337

Key Contact

John Goodchild


+44 (0)20 7591 3384

Key Contact

Stephen Horscroft

Managing Associate

+44 (0)1892 506 341

Key Contact

Jessica Jamieson


+44 (0)1892 506 019

Key Contact

Peter Scott


+44 (0)1892 506 292

Key Contact

Clare Savory

Senior Associate

+44 (0)1892 506 213

Key Contact

Lesley Smith

Legal Secretary

+44 (0)1892 506 348

  • Considering cross border issues about whether powers of attorney will be effective in different jurisdictions and assisting with the lodging of powers of attorney with foreign institutions including notarisation.
  • Advising on the sale of jointly held property where one co-owner has lost capacity, having appointed an attorney to act on their behalf.
  • Dealing with registration of EPAs where the donor has lost or is losing capacity to deal with their financial affairs including where the original EPA has been lost.
  • Advising on the procedure for revocation of out of date EPAs and LPAs and disclaimer of attorneyship following divorce.
  • Applications to appoint replacement attorneys when the main attorney is no longer able to act.

Don't just take our word for it...